Trades of Terra Norma
Better description forthcoming. For now, see Terran Commonwealth on the Factions page for more info.
An Early History (The Main Bullet Points)
- Originally from Sol System; colonize most of system
- Engineer amazing terraforming technology
- “Hey let’s install this new AI technology, so the Terraformers can intelligently cultivate planets beyond our Solar System. Surely nothing could go wrong with this plan!”
- Terraformer fleet turns on masters, oh so predictably
- Sentient Armada conquers most of Sol System within a couple decades
- Military Tribunal deposes civil government
- Remaining humans hole up on Triton
- Desperate scientists stumble upon two new technologies
- 1) Device that can access the dimensional slipstream; leads to jumpdrive
- 2) Insane solar detonation device that can make a star go supernova
- Terrans cobble together a fleet of seed ships
- Armada catches up, surrounds, closes in
- Terrans launch detonator at Sun, flip off Armada, then jump like crazies into the void
- Most ships survive jump (casualties include genius detonator scientists; that technology lost), survivors find selves half a galaxy away, surrounded by strange races.
- Commonwealth born, expansion, wars, etc.
A Few Notes
Psionics: Predictably, most Terrans—especially Commonwealth loyalists—are paranoid about the Ambyloid’s unique mental powers. So far, no sweeping interstellar anti-psionic laws have been enacted (though not for some politicians’ lack of trying), but all too many Ambyloids have fallen victim to the witch-hunts of local governments for “mind meddling.”
Artificial Intelligence: Few Terrans, Commonwealth or no, have forgotten their worst mistake; their biggest tragedy. In Old Sol, the AI-driven Terraformer uprising left billions of humans dead, and the rest without a home. Today, the majority of Terrans would (and do) go to great lengths to prevent humanity—or any other race—from traveling down that dangerous road again, whether that means enacting legislation, purging scientific knowledge, or going to war. Today, robots serve many roles in Terran society, but their processing units are universally restricted to sub-AI levels.
Size: Medium. As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Human base land speed is 30 feet.
Bonus feat: 1 extra feat at 1st level.
Bonus skills: 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
Automatic Language: Common.
Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages; can learn to understand but not speak J’skkt). See the Speak Language skill.
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass human takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.